Running Gear – Running, one of the easiest forms of cardio exercise around. Plus, you can pretty much do it anywhere you are.
Don’t have a membership? No problem. Can’t afford an indoor treadmill? No problem.
All you need to get a fantastic heart-pounding cardio workout pretty much anywhere is the right running gear.
Since my life turned upside down a few years ago from neglecting my body, running was the best thing to keep me motivated and retrain my brain to kick the major depression I was suffering, and the massive amount of weight I was carrying around my body.
But when I started running, the clothing I was wore wasn’t made of the greatest materials on the planet. My body was in a constant battle of dealing with clothing that made me constantly drip of sweat, or make me chafe in areas nobody wants to have chaffed.
In this article, I will breakdown what I believe is the best running gear everyone should have to get you off on the right foot and running.
Best Running Gear For Runners
Jabra Elite Active 75t TWS earbuds
If you are looking for a great pair of true wireless running earbuds, you can beat the performance of the Jabra Elite Active 75t TWS earbuds.
Elite Active 75t has been specifically designed for an active lifestyle. An IP57-rating makes them fully waterproof and sweatproof, so there’s nothing holding you back from running through the storm or sweating out your new personal best in the gym.
The v-shaped construction of these earbuds cradles the ears that deliver a fresh, powerful, and broad sound quality that matches the sound performance of rival Apple’s Airpods Pro.
But, these TWS earbuds come in at a budget that many can afford to add to your running gear kit.
Plus, runners can enjoy up to 7.5 hours of continuous use, and thanks to an intelligent power management system and new low-power Bluetooth 5.0 chipset, you can tough it out for your longest run ever, and you’ll still need to recharge before they do.
Amazon Review: “They might not have true noise cancellation, but when you TURN OFF hear-through, the feature that lets you hear outside noise more easily, you can’t hear anything! I’ve ridden my bike through heavy wind and rain with these in and have had no issues with outside noise or water-damage.
Compared to my AirPods pro, which I have now returned, these earbuds have a far superior sound and bass level. I’ve shown these to two of my friends in the past week who have also returned AirPods to purchase these.
So, if you’re looking for wireless earbuds with water resistance and amazing sound quality, battery life, and customization options, look no further. I waited 2 years for wireless earbuds worthwhile to be released, and these are them.”
SoundLiberty 79 True Wireless Earbuds
These TWS earbuds offer incredibly clear sound quality and Powerful Bass Performance with 6mm PEEK+PU Speaker Driver. You can enjoy the amazing music feast while traveling, working, excising, etc.
Also, these Bluetooth 5.0 earphones stream Hi-Fi stereo sound consistently for up to 8hrs on a single full charge and the ergonomic design maximizes comfort, fit & stability for all-day wearing.
Amazon Review: “OMG.. these are the best True wireless earbuds from Taotronics. The highs and lows are perfect. The beat is the right level. They are perfectly sized to fit in the ear and I use it for my daily workouts. Pairing is very simple and never had a problem with loss of connection. The quality of the material is awesome.”
When it comes to running outdoors, there are a few things that you will need to bring along with you besides your headphones, and that is your keys, phone, and some energy gels.
While you could put them in your pockets, but who wants to be weighed down with these necessary items. That’s why running with a running belt is an essential piece of running gear that all runners should have.
But, if you are planning on running with a running belt, here are some things to look for when shopping for the right running belt to add to your running gear:
- Size of the running belt: If you are planning on carrying keys, smartphone, and energy gels conveniently, you should also look for a running belt that you can adjust tightly against your back to minimize movement when running.
- Easy Access: When you are running, especially when you are pushing yourself towards a personal best, shop for a belt that makes it easy to get at your energy gels or possible water bottle.
Osprey Packs Duro Hydration Waistbelt
Osprey Packs Duro Solo Running Hydration Waistbelt – Room for keys, gels, your phone, and enough water for a quick run.
Sometimes all you need is a bottle of water and a little room for fuel and some cash for a post-run pub session.
The Duro Solo carries enough water for any training run or works great for staying hydrated between aid stations.
Featuring just enough storage for the necessities, a touch-compatible phone pocket, a comfortable and elastic hipbelt, and an included 570 ml BPA-free bottle, it’s sure to keep you moving down the trail.
Fast and Free Run Belt from Lululemon
Gear up for those long runs with the Fast and Free Run Belt from Lululemon. This lightweight, sleek belt holds your phone, snacks, and other essentials.
Designed for Running and Training, the Ultralu fabric is soft, smooth, and sweat-wicking. Plus, with the added Lycra fiber for stretch and shape retention means that you never have to worry about replacing this running belt for months.
What’s great about the Fast and Free Run Belt from Lululemon is the Zippered stretchy pocket keeps your phone close, and the Side drop-in pockets to stash your key, cards, and gels.
Smartphone Running Armband
If running belts aren’t your thing, how else are you going to hold your smartphone that is streaming your music or podcast to your wireless earbuds?
This is when a great running armband comes into play. With a great armband, your smartphone close to your body without possibly chafing, shifting, or bouncing around compared to a running belt.
Armpocket Mega i-40 Armband
Any type of running gear you use while working out has to be tough and rugged. Yet it also has to perform at the same level you do during your workouts.
Armpocket armbands are engineered to outperform any and all competitive products available.
Easily carry all of your essentials while on the go. The Mega i-40’s interior storage compartment safely holds ID, credit card, keys, and more to give you peace of mind.
Memory foam padding and bamboo rayon straps combined with ergonomic design to keep Armpocket comfortable and in place through your most strenuous race.
Armpocket is specially designed to allow you full access and control of your phone. The window material fully allows touch control without having to remove your phone.
Lifeproof Lifeactiv Armband With Quickmount
Worried about not being able to access your phone while it’s on your arm? Then maybe think about the Lifeactiv Armband running gear.
Armband With Quickmount – Keeps your phone at arm’s length — literally. Music, fitness apps, GPS, and more are within reach with the Armband, allowing you to strong-arm your way through killer workouts.
The QuickMount holds your phone with a quick click, and lets go with a simple twist. And, the sleek design makes it the lowest-profile quick-mount armband on the market.
When Fitbit came into the fitness gear accessory market over 10 years ago, fitness trackers are no longer for the advanced athlete, they are useful fitness gadgets to help keep you motivated and active.
What a Fitness Tracker can do for you:
- Count Your Steps. Almost all fitness trackers are built with an accelerometer which helps the fitness tracker count the number of steps you take during the day.
- Check Your Vital Signs. A lot of the popular fitness trackers include a heart rate monitor to measure your pulse, both during exercise and while at rest.
- Keep Track of Calories. Since the fitness trackers keep tabs on your heart rate and step count throughout the day, they can determine how many calories you’ve burned during the day. Which is great for those on a restrictive calorie diet, and making sure you stay ahead of the game.
- Sync With Other Devices. A lot of the fitness trackers on the market today can sync up with most smartphone fitness applications. So, you can keep a daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly record of your fitness activities.
What I like about fitness trackers is that it can help me make sure I am achieving my steps throughout the day, making sure that I have a healthy resting heart rate, and getting enough sleep during the night.
If you are in the market for a fitness tracker, then you might as well go with the originators in the running gear market!
With Fitbit Charge 4, there’s no limit to how far you can go. This sleek, swim-proof tracker is packed with features that help you know your workouts and your body better—like:
- Use built-in GPS to see your pace and distance on screen during outdoor runs, rides, hikes, and more and see a workout intensity map in the app that shows your heart rate changes along your route.
- With Active Zone Minutes, feel a buzz when you reach your target heart rate zones during exercise, and celebrate when you earn extra minutes outside of exercise.
- Use 24/7 heart rate to track resting heart rate & better measure calorie burn
- Play your favorite songs and playlists with Spotify app controls on your wrist. Also, make secure purchases with Fitbit Pay and get calls, text, and smartphone app notifications.
- Track workouts in real-time with 20+ goal-based exercise modes. It’s also swim-proof and water-resistant to 50M so you can track swims, wear in the shower and more
- The multi-day battery lasts up to 7 days and up to 5 hours when using built-in GPS (varies with use & other factors)
- Track sleep stages & review your in-app Sleep Score for an easy way to see how well you slept.
When it comes to buying shoes, everyone’s feet are different, and finding the most desirable running shoe for your running gear can be a challenge.
The joys of buying shoes are that feet come in all different shapes and sizes, and one particular shoe off the rack may work for the person beside you at a shoe store, which may not work for you.
Plus, when it comes to running, every runner will have a different goal. Some may focus on short runs to start getting into shape, while other runners could be focusing on long distances to maintain his/her shape.
When it comes to finding the right running shoe for your running gear kit, shopping for this type of shoe online can be a challenge unless you know the right running shoe that will work best for your feet.
If you already know the right running shoe that works best for you, then shopping online will be easy for you.
If you don’t know what running shoe will work best for your runs, then go to the professionals and hit a specialty running shoe store ASAP.
When you are at the running shoe store, grab not just one pair of shoes that’s on sale, grabs a bunch of running shoes, and start testing.
If you know the right particular shoe already that works best for your feet, then you are already one step ahead of the game.
To get running ready, it doesn’t take much in terms of clothing. All you need is a comfortable t-shirt, shorts, underwear, socks, and running shoes and you are off to the races!
But, running can be either fun or a pain in the ass depending on the day.
So having running-specific clothing designed for active people is a must for any runner.
Trust me, I have chaffed too many spots around my body with cotton clothing in the past to know that activewear is built to take care of precious areas around the body while running.
Here are some running essentials for women and men that should be in any running gear kit.
Sweaty Betty High Intensity Sports Bra
A beautiful high support sports bra featuring mesh inserts and encapsulation technology, this is the ultimate way to combine high-performance with fashion details.
The supportive design is crafted from sweat-wicking fabric and has softly padded straps that sit comfortably against the skin.
Wear for high support whether you’re an A or F cup, it’s time to stop the drop.
Nike Alpha High-Support Sports Bra
The highly supportive, form-fitting Nike Alpha High Support Sports Bra features molded cups for an encapsulated fit. Designed for high-impact activities like basketball and soccer, it offers a modified racerback design for a natural range of motion.
- Cups help keep your natural shape.
- Perforations for breathability where you need it.
- Adjustable back clasp for easy on and off.
- Dri-FIT technology helps keep you dry and comfortable.
- Modified racerback design lets you move freely.
Lululemon Run Times Bra High Support
Going for a run? Keep your mind on your stride in this sleek bra that gives you support, separation, and coverage, with perforated paneling for airflow.
- Four-way stretch
- Added Lycra® fibre for stretch and shape retention
Running Underwear for Men
Men, If you are not willing to go commando during your run, then you should wear these boxer-briefs from Underarmour.
Underarmour took there sweat-wicking, keeps-you-cool technology and turned it into the best men’s boxers in the game. It feels cool, stays put, and provides a zero-distraction fit that’s snug, but not tight.
It’s the closest thing to going commando without the squeeze. Plus, they are Insanely soft, breathable fabric & articulated mesh fly panel & gusset.
Not exactly the type of running gear that many runners don’t use on a treadmill or outside in the spring, summer, and early fall conditions, but when the temperature changes outside, they are a blessing.
If you are looking for gloves to keep your hands warm in the chilly mornings, think about getting yourself a pair of gloves with liners built-in.
When I go out for an early run on a late fall morning, the gloves I tend to equip myself with are ones with merino liners in them.
Why? because merino provides a natural moisture-wicking as well as odor resisting properties that keep your hands dry and stink-free.
Merino wool is also a great fabric for socks as well because of the sweat-wicking properties.
Smartwool Merino Wool Liner Glove
Lock in body heat and keep your hands warm when the temperature drops in the Smartwool Merino Sport Wool Liner Glove.
Smartwool’s whole brand was built on the desire to be comfortable on outdoor adventures-we wanted to go farther and experience more.
And that drive continues to fuel everything Smartwool does.
From their Merino wool supply chain to the Smartwool advocacy program to how they design their socks and apparel, Smartwool exists to help you play, love, and laugh in the great outdoors as often as you would like.
Why should you wear Running Tights while running?
Running Tights are made from compression fabrics that fit snug against the skin on your legs and help with the overall circulation to your legs to keep you running.
Not only do they support circulation, but running tights also help move the metabolic waste from your muscles.
They are the perfect running gear you need to help you avoid the dreaded runners’ legs when you are doing long-distance runs.
Plus, most running tights are made with moisture-wicking properties to help you stay dry and comfortable in warm or cold weather.
Under Armour Womens HeatGear Armour Capri Leggings
Super-light HeatGear fabric delivers superior coverage without weighing you down. Material wicks sweat & dries really fast.
4-way stretch construction moves better in every direction.
Ergonomic flatlock seams deliver a comfortable, chafe-free fit.
Super-soft jacquard elastic waistband with a rise that sits just right on your hips.
Tough, lightweight HeatGear fabric, with all the performance benefits of UA Compression. Stretch-mesh gusset & inseam panels deliver strategic ventilation.
Updated ergonomic design keeps seams off high abrasion areas & increases durability. 4-way stretch construction moves better in every direction.
Material wicks sweat & dries really fast. Anti-odor technology prevents the growth of odor-causing microbes.
When it comes to running gear, runners often forget about safety before starting a run.
I know for me that I think about comfort and music before heading out, while not paying attention to unexpected emergencies that could occur during a run.
But, unfortunately, accidents or medical emergencies could happen at any time, and being prepared with these great running gear essentials is a must for every run.
Wearing ID bands and tags is an easy way to have your personal identification and medical information readily available in case of emergencies.
The GoTags Shoe ID Tags can help you with that. This lightweight sports ID tags for runners, cyclists, triathletes, or just about any person needing emergency contact identification.
In the event of an emergency, Shoe ID Tags provide important information to First Responders such as contact information and medical conditions.
Made of Stainless Steel for strength but lightweight and easy to strap onto any shoe!
If you like to run in the mornings before the sun rises, or at night when the kids are asleep, being visible is a priority when the sun isn’t shining.
Reflective materials around a runner’s ankles and wrists are perfect to be seen from vehicles around you.
If you want more visibility at night or early morning, think about a reflective vest to been seen by approaching traffic.
Hydration and Nutrition
According to REI.com, “How much you need to drink depends on how long you are running and how much you are sweating, but here are some good basic guidelines for a run lasting 45 minutes or longer:
- Pre-hydrate: Drink 17–20 fl. oz. about two hours before your run so you’ll start off properly hydrated.
- Maintain hydration: Drink about 5–10 fl. oz. (or a few good long drinks) of water every 15–20 minutes while running.
- Drink after: Post-exercise hydration gets your fluid levels back to normal and can help with recovery. For every pound lost while running, drink 16–24 fl. oz. of water.
If you’re doing a short run, say one that lasts 45 minutes or less, you may be able to forgo drinking water while you’re out there. But it’s never a bad idea to carry water, especially if it’s really hot outside and you’ll be sweating a lot. Many runners carry and drink water regardless of how long they’ll be running.” Click here to learn more on REI.com.
Nathan SpeedShot Plus Insulated Handheld Water Bottle - 12 fl. oz.
Focus on your run, not your next water stop.
The Nathan SpeedShot Plus insulated handheld water bottle is easy to grip and even easier to squeeze, giving you instant access to H2O on the move.
- 12 fl. oz. double-wall insulated bottle keeps liquids cooler 20% longer than other insulated bottles
- Ergonomic shape and sweat-channeled, nonslip grip insert provide a secure and easy carry; fully adjustable hand strap with thumbhole enables grip-free running
- Integrated reflective fabric offers 360° reflectivity for added visibility in low light
- Expandable zippered stash pocket stashes your keys, gels and other small essentials
Amphipod Profile Lite 20 Bottle Waistpack with Jett-Lock
The Amphipod Profile Lite 20 Bottle waistpack combines ergonomic a low-profile design with durable lightweight storage, 20 fl. oz. of easy-access hydration and Hydraform Jett-Lock cap technology.
- Ergonomic, low-profile design offers bounce-free performance with ample storage for large smartphones, nutrition, hydration and trail essentials
- Fully insulated bottle holster keeps fluids cooler 30% longer than uninsulated holsters; sloped sleeve design provides quick bottle access
- Includes a 20 fl. oz. patented, ergonomically contoured and slosh-minimizing Hydraform bottle; bottle is BPA-free and dishwasher-safe
“How much should you eat while running? The quick answer is that if you’re heading out for an easy run lasting about an hour or less, you can probably get by with just drinking water.
If you’re running an hour or more, it’s time to start eating at a rate of about 200–300 calories per hour.
For most runners, this means eating and/or drinking 80–100 calories roughly every 20–30 minutes, primarily in the form of small carbohydrate-rich snacks like gels, chews, and sports drinks.” According to REI.com.
Honored with Health Magazine’s ”Best In Food” award, the delicious PROBAR Meal bars supply all natural food for extra endurance, fast recovery and meal replacement.
- Made with organic ingredients, this all-natural bar is blended, not baked, to retain the highest level of vital nutrients and preserve taste.
- With over 15 whole foods, these 100% vegan bars combine the tantalizing tastes of whole grain, fruits and nuts for a truly unique flavor experience.
- PROBAR also requires less hydration to break down than other bars because of the perfect balance of protein and sodium for your running gear nutrition.
- Low protein ratio is ideal for lasting endurance; low glycemic-index foods keep insulin spiking to a minimum, preventing fast sugar drops (bonking).
GU Energy Gel Multipack - Package of 24
A quick energy boost in a convenient, easily ingested form. Package of 24
- Convenient, easy-to-use squeeze package—simply squeeze into mouth and follow with water
- Simple and complex carbohydrates with antioxidants; plus, it enhances performance with histidine, citrates and branched amino acids
- Histidine, an essential amino acid, acts as a buffer to slow lactic acid buildup in muscles
- Potassium citrate, sodium citrate, and citric acid help speed the conversion of carbohydrates into energy molecules
- Branched amino acids leucine, valine and isoleucine serve as an additional fuel source, aid in recovery and help maintain mental focus
- Amino acid complex Ornithine Alpha-Ketoglutarate (OKG) limits the body’s tendency to break down muscle protein tissue during extremely hard training and racing days
After Run Recovery
Sure many of us would love to head to an RMT(Registered Massage Therapy) after our runs, but due to many reasons like budget and health concerns, this is not possible.
But how can you help your muscles and joints to recover after a run?
Well, the good news is that several incredible running gear accessories can aid in recovery for your next run.
Here are my picks on running gear recovery products to help your body restore and recharge:
The percussion massager is a handheld device that vents concentrated pressure into muscle tissue.
This form of deep tissue massage can reduce muscle tension while improving blood flow and quickly increasing the range of motion.
Crytex Care your body needs and offers six customized soft massage heads provides a relaxing massage experience and reduces bone damage.
Super noise reduction design. Running sound below 45 decibels, no noise interference. Let you relax and enjoy the massage experience. Even the highest speed will not affect.
The massage gun is equipped with a Lithium lon rechargeable battery. Power a week’s worth of workouts with up to 5 hours of massage per charge.
According to Harvard Health, Working out regularly will help you hold on to your flexibility, mobility, and independence. And using a simple tool may improve this grip on fitness by priming the muscles and making your workouts more effective.
The tool is called a foam roller. It looks like a fat tube or a bolster pillow for a bed. To use it, you slowly roll an area of your body — like your upper back, hips, or calves — back and forth across the top of the roller.
“Foam rolling seems to make muscles more receptive to stretching and moving. It’s the best thing I’ve found to make people feel better immediately in the 25 years I’ve been doing this,” says Michael Bento, a personal trainer at Harvard-affiliated Massachusetts General Hospital.
AmazonBasics Foam Roller - 18-Inch
A valuable running gear tool, the AmazonBasics high-density foam roller (Pictured Above) offers exceptional versatility and support.
Use it for a variety of exercise routines, from balance and core abdominal work to back stabilization, flexibility, and strength training.
The foam roller can be easily repositioned to target specific muscles and to assist from one routine to the next. Its design also helps assist when rehabilitating the upper and lower back, calves, hamstrings, gluts, and more.
Body Glide Original Anti-Chafe Balm
Depending on the clothing you wear, your clothes may not offer the moisture-wicking capabilities to avoid chafing.
If you like to run with cotton, like I sometimes like to do, there are some great anti-chaffing products to help avoid the dreaded bleeding nipples. Which I get a lot by the way.
- Apply before you get dressed, on thighs, neck, arms, and anywhere skin is rubbed. Stop trouble before it starts
- Made with allergen free, plant-derived ingredients. Vegan approved, never tested on animals. Child safe.
- The preferred choice over messy, wet creams, gels and powders. No petroleum, lanolin or mineral oils.
- Effective and longlasting. Use daily in humid and dry conditions for a pain free active life.
- Keeps pores clog free. Sweat escapes and lets skin breathe. Clothing, footware and wetsuit safe.
No matter how you run, whether your a beginner just trying to get into the best shape of your life, or a seasoned runner training for distance, these great running gear options available online will get you ready.
Running is a great form of exercise to help you build strong bones, strengthen muscle, improve cardiovascular fitness, and help maintain a healthy weight.
So, just get out there and start your journey in getting into the best shape of your life.
Do you have some favorite running gear essentials that you can’t run without that I have mentioned? Please feel free to leave a comment below, as I would love to hear from you.
Also, if you know runners out there that are looking for the right running gear, and not sure what to get, please feel free to share this post on social media using the icons below.
All products are independently selected by our writers and editors. If you buy something through our links, Peek At This may earn an affiliate commission.