Echelon EX5 Smart Connect Bike – Are you looking for ways to get in a great heart-pounding cardio workout at home that can compete with the expensive gyms with intense personal trainers?
I know I was looking for an exercise bike with the latest in fitness technology to start my new year’s resolution off right.
When I was shopping for a stationary bike a the beginning of the year I focused on buying a smart bike that had live and on-demand exercise classes, racing style petals, magnetic resistance, and not fall apart after three months of use.
Oh, and it had to fall into a price range that I could afford without selling my firstborn to buy it.
But after three months of self-isolation with this child, I am thinking that selling off my firstborn wouldn’t have been that bad after all.
Of course, I am kidding, I don’t have kids, at least not anymore.
After doing research and testing out some bikes at fitness stores around my area, I ended up settling with the Echelon EX5.
If you are in the market like I was for a stationary bike with all the bells and whistles and at a price, you can afford, then you should continue reading this post.
This Echelon EX5 smart connect bike review will go over the key features and specifications, the pro’s and cons, and my final verdict so you can determine if it’s the best stationary bike for you.
ECHELON EX5 SMART BIKE Review
Peek At This is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Echelon EX Features & Specs
The CONNECT EX5 BIKE is Echelon’s premium level bike, and only comes in one color, and that is black and red.
Which for me is fantastic because these two colors go with anything color scheme in my house, and it looks badass when not being in use.
The Echelon EX5 is a fantastic stationary bike for amateur riders to the most advanced riders looking to kick up his/her cardio program to the max!
Here is a small taste of what is included with the Echelon EX5:
- “FitPass” features trainer-led yoga, stretching, pre-and-post workout sessions, meditation, pilates, kickboxing, Zumba & more
- 30+ world-class and relatable trainers PLUS guest and celebrity instructors(subscription required)
- BLUETOOTH CAPABILITY
- Scenic Ride Simulations
- NEW indexing resistance adjustment knob with 32 levels of magnetic resistance
- Competition Aero handlebar system provides fore and aft adjustment for either performance or comfort set up
- NEW competition seat with 6” lever-style adjustment
- SPD Compatible with fully adjustable toe cages
- 2 handlebar-mounted bottle holders
- Width — 20” Inches Length — 54” Inches
- Weight -112 lb
- 30‑DAY RETURN POLICY
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY
- First-rate Durable Welded Steel Frame w/Powder Coat
Echelon Bike Pros & Cons
I know that investing in home gym equipment is a huge commitment.
By purchasing any of the Echelon Bikes, you will be replacing your gym monthly membership payments with monthly finance payments to own your very own Echelon Bike.
- You need to be committed to getting in the best shape of your life! This is a huge investment in yourself and to achieve positive returns from your Echelon you have to be in it to win it! If not, it won’t work for you.
- You will need a tablet or smartphone like an iPad, Amazon Fire Tablet, Samsung Note or smartphone if you want to subscribe to the Echelon App live classes. Side Note: If you buy The Echelon EX5s it comes with 21.5″ HD Touchscreen that flips 180°.
- Price: When it comes to a well-made smart bike, the Echelon Smart Connect Line Of Bikes is affordable compared to other smart bikes in the market today. With the number of features and how it’s built, this is the best bang for your buck.
- Esthetics: As I mentioned above the color of the EX5 Smart bike, the stationary bike never looks out of place in a house, apartment, or garage. But do yourself a favor, if you put this in the garage, don’t neglect it as it will treat you the way you treat it. Plus, it stores easily with roller wheels on the bottom of the bike.
- It’s made for everyone: The great thing about Echelon Smart Cycles is there is no judgment. It’s you, the virtual trainer, and the bike. It doesn’t matter what your skill level is, the Echelon Smart Cycle is there to get the job done right. With your help of course.
- The Workouts: If you have seen some of the commercials for the Peloton bike on tv, it focuses on the live training aspect through a touchscreen. But, the Echelon Smart Bike does the exact same thing by allowing you to take part in Live Rides & Workouts in real-time. Plus, there is a massive database of workouts provided in the Echelon app, that you will never get bored.
Real Customer Reviews
- Darlene R – “This bike is everything I was looking for. I love that I can ride anytime by taking a live class, on-demand class, or doing my own freestyle ride. This bike is high quality, well-built, and performs as it should. I love my bike!”
- Stacey B – “I love this bike and the live classes are amazing! The instructors push you to perform at your best and it feels like they are in my living room with me. I have already spread the word to friends and family. This is the hardest I have ever worked out and plan on keeping it up! Thank you.”
- Susan Y -“I love my bike. I did a lot of research prior to deciding on the EX5. The coaches push me and motivate me. I am finding it hard to take a day off. I am addicted! Thank you, Echelon!”
How the Echelon App Works
The Echelon Fit App provides totally immersive fitness in the comfort and convenience of your own home.
From warm-up to cool down, Echelon will help you stay motivated and get the most out of your exercise routine.
You can even track progress and link your Facebook, Fitbit, and Strava accounts to compete with your friends and family!
Questions I had before purchasing the Echelon EX5
Is spinning a good way to lose weight?
According to CaptainCalculator.com, the average person burns 250-330 calories per hour spinning at 40 watts and 630-840 calories per hour spinning at 100 watts.
The number of calories burned spinning depends on your weight and the intensity of the activity. So, if you spin three times a week at a high intensity, you could burn up to 1,800 calories, but a pound of fat is equivalent to 3,500 calories.
Which Smart Bike Is Better? Peloton Vs. Echelon?
I had the chance to try out both the Peloton Smart Bike and the Echelon EX5 before making my decision and here are my results:
When it comes to the resistance between the Peloton vs. the Echelon smart bike, the Peloton has a bit of a more advanced resistance system, vs the conventional stepped levels of resistance that Echelon offers.
The Peloton Bike offers a somewhat smoother ride but the Echelon EX Bike does a great job competing with the Peloton bike that most fitness enthusiasts won’t even notice.
Are Echelon Smart Bikes As Good As Peloton Smart Bikes?
The Echelon Smart Bikes is as well-built as the Peloton smart bike.
Which is something at the time was another added expense I didn’t want.
How Much Does the Echelon App Cost?
Now, before the whole pandemic thing forced us all to self-isolate, I was paying around $45.00 per month for a gym membership.
With the Echelon Bike, a 12-month app subscription costs $399, and you decide on paying upfront for a 2-year subscription you can get it for $599.
While I know that the 1 or 2-year subscription price was a little bit of a sticker shock, it sure beats going to a gym and not knowing how sanitized the machines are going to be going forward.
Plus, have you been in a spin class where there are 100’s of spin bikes in one room, where everyone is coughing and wheezing trying to catch his/her breath? No thanks, not for me at this point in time.
If the yearly subscription is too high at the start, Echelon offers monthly plans to choose from ranging in price from $12.99 to $34.99 per month.
Which Echelon EX version should you get?
Echelon smart bike product line consists of the EX1, EX3, EX5, and EX5s. All the EX bikes are quite comparable in many ways. The EX1 and EX3 offer ergonomic handlebars with an adjustable console that holds your smart device and flips 180°.
With the EX5 and EX5s includes a competition Aero handlebar system that provides fore and aft adjustment for either performance or comfort set up. This is great if you are wanting to push yourself for a long indoor ride.
When it comes to seat comfort, all the Echelon models offer comfortable padded seats that won’t make your butt fall asleep while riding.
The EX1 is the entry-level smart bike that Echelon offers, and it does lack a few newer features that the lastest Ex models include, but if budget is an issue, you won’t be disappointed with the basic EX1 model.
Echelon Bike Price: How Much Do The Bikes Cost?
Echelon Smart bikes vary in price from $849 to $1839 depending on the model and features you choose.
I would like to post the specific prices, but when it comes to fitness equipment, prices fluctuate on a monthly basis, and I don’t want to give you the wrong price.
If you are curious about pricing I would suggest clicking this link to learn more.
What Does A Echelon Fit Live Class Look Like?
Is The Echelon EX Bikes Easy To Install?
Not left in my hand after the install.
I am not good with one’s hands at all. When it comes to DIY, I need everything explained to me like I am a five-year-old to get the job done.
But when it comes to installing the Echelon EX5, I was able to install my Echelon EX5 with no leftover parts! A job well done for me!
The total installation time was around 45 min.
That installation time is a lot quicker than me building an end table from IKEA. I will repeat, that I am all thumbs when installing anything, so timing will vary.
So, if you can install IKEA furniture and never have leftover parts, then you shouldn’t have a problem installing the Echelon EX Smart Bike.
Echelon EX5: My Review
If you are in the market for a Smart Bike for your home gym, you can’t go wrong with the Echelon EX5.
This durable spin bike offers an immersive and interactive training that makes you feel like you are in an expensive spin class in a major city. Without the dry heaving and overpowering smell of Axe body spray and Channel no.5.
I like the heavy-duty flywheel and many resistance levels along with the expanding library of Echelon Fit virtual workouts will keep you stimulated and excited.
Side Note: To get the most out of this great smart bike, you need to subscribe to the Echelon Fit app, without this, you won’t get the benefit of tracking your stats, and of course the training programs to push you to the cardio limits you need.
2020 has been an absolute beast to all of us and don’t you think you should reward yourself for surviving this long with the gift of health?
Sure you could get the good old-fashioned stationary bike that your parents had years ago, but just like the thigh master, those need to be retired and be replaced with the future.
The Echelon EX-5 is the future of the stationary bike for your home gym. Don’t you want to start spinning today? If so, click here for the Echelon Website to learn more.
Stay Healthy My Friends!
P.S. – If you’ve found this article helpful and like the products in the post, please consider purchasing the goods via the links in the post as it helps keep the website running. All the companies are ones I use myself in my own life. If you have any questions, email me!