CARRY-ON SAMSONITE FREEFORM SPINNER – Raise your hand if you’ve ever tried to get your carry-on through the airport only to be told it’s too heavy or too big?
There’s nothing quite like a frenzied dash through the airport, moving bags back and forth to level out the weight and avoid the oversize cost.
When it comes to flying, size and weight limits are constantly changing, and it’s a challenge that many of us travelers confront on a regular basis.
When I travel, I prefer to bring a piece of luggage that is both robust and lightweight, and that can contain enough goods while I am away.
I had to go behind the hood when Samsonite debuted the Samsonite Freeform Spinner Carry-on to see if this Samsonite luggage would be my go-to hardshell carry-on baggage.
This Samsonite Freeform review is for you if you’re seeking a new hardshell carry-on baggage that’s durable and dependable, with all of the fantastic features that Samsonite is known for.
For the majority of my life, I’ve been handed secondhand luggage.
My parents, who like travelling more than I do, rummage through bags like children searching for Halloween sweets.
They haven’t been swapping bags as frequently as they did in the past. So, when it came time to look for luggage for my recent trip to Los Angeles, I knew where to go.
This is my Samsonite Freeform Hardside Spinner 21 review.
Samsonite Freeform Features
- Ultra-Light pull handle withstands the rigors of today’s travel.
- Flush-mounted TSA combination locks provide additional peace of mind when checking belongings.
- Made of textured polypropylene which helps prevent dents and scratches. Cross-ribbon divider for easy packing and multiple pockets keep belongings organized.
- Dual spinner wheels designed to increase manoeuvrability
- Medium and Large cases expand for added packing capacity.
- PACKING Dimensions: 19.5″ x 14.5″ x 10.0″, OVERALL Dimensions: 21.25″ x 15.25″ x 10.0″, 6.5 lbs
Samsonite Freeform Pro’s
When it comes to selecting carry-on luggage, it all comes down to the qualities you require for your vacation. The Samsonite Freeform Spinner Carry-on has the following advantages for business or leisure travellers.
- The Samsonite Lightweight Freeform luggage glides well in any direction and easily changes direction with very little effort.
- It is really nicely sectioned off so packing is organized and simple; this makes it easy to open and close without disturbing the contents and you don’t have to dig around.
- The suitcase has a handy coat strap so I could put my jacket inside and then just open it and quickly grab my jacket when I need it.
- The Samsonite Freeform suitcase is nicely sectioned off. Because of this, I felt better about the privacy it gave me when I had to open it in public; I didn’t feel like all my things were on display.
- It has a nice liquid/water proof pocket, along with the clothing mesh section. That’s fairly common with most quality modern luggage but always appreciated by me.
- The handles are both on the sides and the ends. For a carry-on this makes it very easy to put in and out of the overhead bin.
- And here’s perhaps the biggest plus for me – even though it’s hard-shell luggage, it is incredibly light.
- 10 year Warranty
Samsonite Freeform Con’s
No set of luggage is perfect, and there will always be a few things that will make a set of luggage not quite perfect.
- Scratches will show in darker colors over time – Like the black version of this samsonite carry on hard shell.
- Wheels Can Be Damaged if it’s being untaken care of – Don’t go off-roading with this carry-on, but be careful of dragging the wheels through the older streets of Europe. This set can take a beating, but over time I can see the wheels being a problem.
Samsonite Freeform Description
Freeform is extremely light and durable, and it was designed to provide the strength and mobility that Samsonite customers have come to expect, as well as a completely unique design.
With a cleaner panel, higher packing capacity, and smartly integrated components. Samsonite’s newest lightweight provides a very roomy and comfortable riding.
TSA Compatible Combination Lock
360 Spinner Wheels
This lightweight line offers heavyweight protection riding on effortless 360 degree Spinner Wheels.
All you need to do is push your case along and the wheels do the rest.
Whether you are checking into the flight or your hotel, it is super-easy with spinner wheels.
Wider pull handle combines to provide an exceptionally comfortable grip.
Integrated, multi-stage aluminum pull handle for extra lightness.
Retracting top and side carry-handles remain protected when checking baggage.
WHAT IS THIS SUITCASE LIKE?
The telescoping handle is fantastic. It’s solid, with no swaying or flimsiness to it.
It stays up when needed and pushes firmly into the ground. The standard handle is comfortable to hold and secure.
There is a compartment at the bottom of the bag. This has an elastic crisscross that holds folded goods in place and buckles easily. Below that is another compartment with a zipper all the way around it.
That means you can add a second layer of packed things underneath it, which will be held in place by the elastic. The case has a third level that zips open and is located adjacent to the hard side.
There is no tab on this zipper. It doesn’t make sense to me why they placed a zipper in there if it’s not supposed to be opened.
There is a level with a mesh bag in the top compartment, as well as a see-through soft plastic pouch that zips shut to carry cosmetics or other leakable things.
That level zips open to reveal another, larger level with plenty of storage. The final layer features a zipper that allows you to access the hard side of the luggage from the inside.
I’m not sure why they put a zipper in there that isn’t attached to a tab. Why place it there if it’s not supposed to be opened?
The lock is a combination lock with instructions for setting it up.
These closures were robust and stayed closed tightly.
The Samsonite Luggage Freeform wheels seem to work very well. They rolled over bumps in the sidewalk and tucked neatly under rug edges.
They rotate smoothly, and I had no trouble directing the luggage while transportation or strolling with it.
The Samsonite Freeform luggage took a beating. I had to travel where it was tossed around and put into areas where it was treated with little care. So far, it’s held up admirably.
I must note that this hard-sided luggage is far superior to soft-sided luggage. Even though it is airline-approved, the soft-sided caused me a lot of anxiety because I was afraid it would be sliced when I returned it.
This one provides me with a lot more peace of mind, and it fits in overhead bins.
Amazon Reviews – Samsonite Freeform Hardside 21 carry-on spinner reviews
Top positive review
“I traveled on WOW airlines with this suitcase as my carry-on. They are very strict with baggage and measure/weigh most luggage when you check-in. It is a tight fit, but this bag does conform to their standards.
I was able to pack a lot into the suitcase, it rolls very smoothly, and the handle is comfortable. I’m curious to see how the white color holds up over time, but after two weeks and three countries, it still looks clean.
Overall, I’m very happy with this suitcase and expect I will be using it for years to come.
Update 3/27/2018 – The suitcase has held up well through 10+ trips.
The wheels still roll smoothly and, though it has a few scratches and abrasions from miles of rolling over cobblestones and through wet winter streets, it is still white.
The hard plastic is easy to clean. I love this bag and recommend it to my friends.”
Top critical review
“One of the spinner wheels came off while wheeling the bag through the airport parking lot on the way to our first trip with the bag (8 days after purchase).
As I changed directions, the spinner wheel “drug sideways” briefly and the wheel stripped off its axle. There was nothing extreme about how the bag was being rolled when the wheel came off.”
THE BOTTOM LINE
This is the first Samsonite carry-on luggage I’ve ever purchased.
This is a good option if you want a robust piece of luggage that is well-designed, easy to transport, and has a lock. It’s also convenient because it fits in overhead compartments, allowing you to keep it with you.
Five out of five stars. I’m not sure why they put zippers in luggage that doesn’t have tabs (Leave them out?) But removing a star from anything isn’t enough.
This carry-on luggage is sturdy and well-organized. So far, I’ve been pleased with it.
If I have anything else to say, I will update this page.
If you ever decide to make a purchase from Amazon, for ANYTHING, even diapers..you can help me without spending a penny to do so.
If you use my links to make your purchase (when you click a link here and it takes you to Amazon, that is using my links as once there you can buy anything and I will get a teeny small credit) you will, in turn, be helping this site to keep on going and keep on growing.
So all I ask is that if you find the free info on this website useful AND you ever need to make a purchase at Amazon, just use the link below. You can even bookmark the Amazon link and use it anytime you buy something.
It costs you nothing extra but will provide me and this site with a dollar or two to keep on trucking along. AMAZON LINK (you can bookmark this one)