The James Cameron Masterclass has just been released!
James Cameron is a master filmmaker. From The Terminator, Aliens, Abyss, T2, True Lies, Titanic, Avatar, and Piranha Part Two: The Spawning, James Cameron has directed some of Hollywood’s biggest blockbusters in motion picture history.
Now, for the first time in his amazing filmmaking career, he reveals his film process via James Cameron’s Masterclass.
Everything from behind-the-scenes breakdowns, his approach to developing ideas, storylines, and ,harnessing technology, and worldbuilding on any budget is explored in this amazing moviemaking Masterclass.
“Pick up a camera. Shoot something. No matter how small, no matter how cheesy, no matter whether your friends and your sister star in it. Put your name on it as director. Now you’re a director. Everything after that you’re just negotiating your budget and your fee.”
For the first time ever, the Oscar-winning director will share his vision and wide-ranging experience in filmmaking.
What should you expect from this Masterclass? What will be included?
Let’s dive in!
James Cameron Masterclass: What You Need to Know
Founded in 2015, MasterClass is one of the most valuable online learning platforms available.
Their video production is world-class and you get the opportunity to learn from the best.
How much does the James Cameron MasterClass cost?
MasterClass often changes its pricing plans, so for the latest purchasing information please check here. The MasterClass annual membership costs $180. You will get unlimited access to all 100+ courses available on MasterClass.
What's Included in James Cameron’s Masterclass
- 15 video lessons
- Over 3 hours
- Lifetime access, with classes that never expires
- Learning materials and workbooks
- Accessible from any device
- Watch, listen, and learn as James Cameron teaches his most comprehensive filmmaking class ever
Recommended James Cameron Masterclass Workshops
Shortly, I will be enrolling in the James Cameron Filmmaking Masterclass because I am shooting three short films with the production starting August 1st.
And James Cameron is not a bad instructor to learn from. Fingers crossed the Masterclass pulls up to Christopher Nolan, or David Fincher houses with a Brinks truck full of cash soon for them to instruct a masterclass course.
Below are some of the topics in the James Cameron Masterclass that have me excited.
Pursuing and Developing the Idea
James discusses how to identify the idea that won’t go away and how to harness the power of your dreams to develop a story authentically.
- Pursue the Idea That Won’t Go Away
- Harness Your “Zero-Cost Subscription Service”
- Develop the Story Your Own Way
- Three-Act Structure: Know the Rules and Break Them
- Use Authenticity as Your Anchor
- Never Forget Your Principles
- Express Your Perspective Thematically
Toying With the Audience: Building and Releasing Tension
James teaches you how to build and hold tension—and tells you why audiences love it.
- Honor Your Relationship With the Audience
- Increasing Jeopardy: Build and Prolong Tension
- Building Tension Across an Entire Film
THE TERMINATOR Club Scene Breakdown
James breaks down the club scene from The Terminator, walking through, shot by shot, how he built relentless tension.
- Converging Storylines and Relentless Tension
ALIENS Egg Chamber Breakdown
James talks through how he captured the feeling from his dream of a room covered in wasps through a scene in Aliens.
- Fulfilling the Promise of a Nightmare
ALIENS Newt Introduction Scene Breakdown
With Newt’s introduction scene in Aliens, James breaks down how he elicits different physiological responses from audiences, switching from suspense to curiosity.
- Turning Suspense Into Curiosity
The Art of Low-Budget Filmmaking
Learn how integral preparation and inventing tricks are to low-budget filmmaking.
- Get the Most Bang for Your Buck
- Build Around Your Strengths
- Use Every Trick in the Book and Invent New Ones
- 117 Setups in a Day on a Low Budget
Crafting and Introducing Compelling Characters
James talks about creating the perfect sketch of your characters, making them relatable, and introducing them to audiences.
- Craft a Very Compelling Sketch
- Give an Average Person an Enormous Problem
- Introduce Your Characters With a Creative Synecdoche
- Build Toward the Moment Your Characters Collide
- Do Your Research for Historical Characters
- Help Actors Influence Their Character
If this class is anything like past Masterclass’ you are in for a treat.
- David Lynch Creativity and Filmmaking Masterclass
- Jodie Foster Filmmaking/Working with Actors Masterclass
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Spike Lee Film Directing Masterclass
- Werner Herzog Filmmaking MasterClass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting MasterClass
- Mira Nair Independent Filmmaking Masterclass
- David Mamet Dramatic Writing MasterClass
- Shonda Rhimes Masterclass: Learn Television Writing from the Creator of Scandal
- Steve Martin Teaches Comedy Writing & Acting MasterClass
- Annie Leibovitz Masterclass: Learn Photography from the Legend
- Jimmy Chin Masterclass: Learn Adventure Photography
- Judd Apatow Comedy Writing/Directing Masterclass
Business, Branding, and Leadership
- Disney CEO Bob Iger Masterclass: Bog Iger Teaches Business Strategy & Leadership
- Wayne Gretzky Teaches the Athlete’s Mindset
- RuPaul Teaches Self-Expression and Authenticity
- Anna Wintour Teaches Creativity and Leadership
- Sara Blakely Masterclass: Learn How to Become an Entrepreneur
- Howard Schultz Masterclass: Leading a Values-Based Business
- Diane von Furstenberg Masterclass: Learn How to Build a Brand
- Billy Collins Teaches Reading and Writing Poetry
- Walter Mosley Teaches Fiction and Storytelling
- Salman Rushdie Teaches Storytelling and Writing
- Amy Tan Teaches Fiction, Memory, and Imagination
- Margaret Atwood Teaches Creative Writing
- Judy Blume Teaches Writing
- Malcolm Gladwell Teaches Writing
- R.L. Stine Teaches Writing for Young Audiences
- James Patterson Teaches Writing
Music / Performing MasterClasses:
- Questlove Teaches Music Curation and DJing
- Reba McEntire Teaches Country Music
- St. Vincent Teaches Creativity and Songwriting
- Alicia Keys Teaches Songwriting and Producing
- Jake Shimabukuro Teaches ‘Ukulele
- Danny Elfman Teaches Music for Film
- Hans Zimmer Film Scoring MasterClass
- Carlos Santana Teaches The Art and Soul of Guitar
- Gordon Ramsey Cooking MasterClass
- Gordon Ramsay Masterclass – Learning Cooking II: Restaurant Recipes at Home
- Thomas Keller Masterclass Teaches Cooking Techniques
- Wolfgang Puck Masterclass Teaches Cooking
- Alice Waters Masterclass Teaches Home Cooking
- Aaron Franklin Teaches Texas-Style BBQ
- Gabriela Camara Teaches Mexican Cooking
- Niki Nakayama Teaches Modern Japanese Cooking
- Penn & Teller Masterclass: Learn the Art of Magic from the Legends
- Will Wright Masterclass: Learn Game Design and Theory
- David Axelrod and Karl Rove Masterclass: Campaign Strategy and Message
- Garry Kasparov Masterclass: Learn Chess for a GrandMaster
- Chris Hadfield Masterclass Teaches Space Exploration
- Chris Voss Teaches the Art of Negotiation
- Marc Jacobs Masterclass Teaches Fashion Design
- Serena Williams Tennis MasterClass
- Frank Gehry Design & Architecture MasterClass
- Dr. Jane Goodall Masterclass: Learn Conservation from a Legend
- Stephen Curry Masterclass: Teaches Basketball
- and so much more…..