Emergency Food And Survival Kits – While I am not saying an apocalypse is going to happen anytime soon, unforeseen disasters like floods, fires, and earthquakes could happen at any time, and securing food to survive a disaster is a must.
Some of us may have a 72-hour survival kit sitting in the closet if unexpected happens and you need to grab and go to protect you and your family.
But with a 72-hour survival kit, it may not have enough food in case you can’t get help for longer periods of time. That’s why it’s never a bad idea to stock up on emergency food or survival food kits.
Two significant features to be regarded as emergency food are lengthy shelf life and ready-to-eat capability.
Depending on the kind of emergency food available today, it can last for many weeks, a few years, or even 25 years.
On the shorter shelf-life side, you’ve got things like the Ready-to-Eat meals, which is a self-contained, heatable meal used by the U.S. military. In the intermediate range, you’ve got things like standard canned food and emergency food ration bars. Then you have freeze-dried food and specially packaged to remain edible for years and years, and all you have to do to eat is add water.
Plus the type of emergency food can vary, so there’s a decent chance you can discover something to satisfy your preference.
When you break it down, these types of foods are useful in any emergency situation where food could be scarce in the long or short-term situations.
For long-term situations, you just invest in a good supply and store it in a dry place and forget it until you need it. For short-term situations, you can add some high-calorie bar or a heatable, ready-to-eat meal that can be useful to keep you feed while help arrives. Also, loading up your survival food kit with storable water is key in case you can access water at home and need to stay hydrated or add some water to your emergency food to eat.
So if you are a “scout” thinking about being prepared in case of an emergency, we’ve rounded up some great emergency food choices and survival food kits below.
Just keep in mind when planning for the unexpected, always plan for a survival food inventory that will last a long time and feed you for at least a few days or as many as 30 days.
I hope this post doesn’t panic you, but you never know when you might need emergency food, so it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Wise Foods Grab-N-Go entree kit includes 60 servings of delicious lunch and dinner entrees in a convenient, long-term food storage bucket ensuring your family has the food they need in an emergency situation.
This emergency food storage kit is an ultra-portable and storable solution for your food storage needs.
The stackable containers make it easy to store multiple containers in a shelter, garage, or warehouse while the food is stored in sealed packets, ensuring they remain fresh and protected until they are ready for use with a shelf life of up to 25 years.
Keep a container in the trunk of your car to ensure that you are prepared in case of emergencies during travel or inclement weather.
- 1 pouch of Cheesy Lasagna (4 total servings)
- 2 pouches of Creamy Pasta (8 total servings)
- 1 pouch of Pasta Alfredo (4 total servings)
- 1 pouch of Chili Mac (4 total servings)
- 1 pouch of Chicken Noodle Soup (4 total servings)
- 2 pouches of Savory Stroganoff (8 total servings)
- 1 pouch of Hearty Tortilla Soup (4 total servings)
- 1 pouch of Potato Pot Pie (4 total servings)
- 1 pouch of Teriyaki and Rice (4 total servings)
- 1 pouch of Baked Potato Casserole (4 total servings)
- 1 pouch of Tomato Basil Soup (4 total servings)
- 1 pouch of Southwest Beans and Rice (4 total servings)
- 1 pouch of Cheesy Macaroni (4 total servings).
Easy to prepare in any situation, just add water, wait 12-15 minutes, and enjoy delicious, hearty food – no cooking necessary.
You don’t need an underground bunker to be prepared for the next disaster. An adequate emergency food supply can be assembled and stored just about anywhere, including mobile homes, apartments, condos, and motor homes, providing everyone with the ability to shelter in place until the situation improves.
Augason Farm’s mission is to make sure that every family in America has the emergency food kits and survival food storage necessary to ensure they can face any crisis situation, anywhere.
- Cheesy Broccoli Rice and Creamy Chicken Flavored Rice – Rich in flavor, texture, and nourishment, Cheesy Broccoli Rice and Creamy Chicken Flavored Rice are satisfying entrees you’ll be glad to have on hand. Simply add water and simmer, and you’re ready to relax with a hearty, hot meal when it’s needed most.
- Macaroni and Cheese – For the comfiest of comfort food when it’s needed the most, macaroni and cheese can be prepared in a jiffy. Simply boil the macaroni until cooked to your liking and stir into prepared cheese sauce. Whether in an emergency situation or just too tired to cook, mac-n-cheese always hits the spot.
- Hearty Vegetable Chicken Soup and Creamy Potato Soup – Whether you’re in the mood for a thick and creamy soup or a hearty vegetable broth soup, this emergency pail has you covered. Both are hearty and delicious soups with the perfect blend of seasonings and vegetables and they are a breeze to prepare. Just add water and simmer for hot nourishing meals that will satisfy your appetite and warm your soul.
- Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal – The rich, maple flavor of this classic breakfast entree will start your day with a smile. It is a nutritious meal, a great source of fiber, and a favorite of kids and grownups alike. It’s easy to prepare—ready in just minutes—and is great topped with your favorite freeze-dried fruit.
- Morning Moo’s Low Fat Milk Alternative – This whey-based beverage that looks and tastes like fresh milk, is rich in calcium and fortified with vitamins A and D. It’s delicious served chilled or warmed with a touch of chocolate for a cold winter’s night. This signature product from Augason Farms is nutritious, delicious, and refreshing.
- Instant Potatoes – As an essential part of your emergency food supply, these Instant Potatoes are tasty and hearty when enjoyed on their own or served as a side dish to soups and entrees. No washing, peeling, or grating is required.
- Banana Chips – Banana Chips are a delicious and convenient snack right out of the package. Throw a bag in your pocket and you’ll have important nourishment and much-needed sweetness during an emergency situation, while camping or hiking or when a snack is needed for the kids’ lunch pails.
- 30 Day and 45 Day Meal Planner – This is something you won’t find in any other emergency food kit. Augason Farms takes the guesswork out of daily meal preparation with their unique Meal Planner.
In an emergency situation, food must be carefully prepared to ensure you have a balanced number of calories each day for an extended period. If there’s a chance an emergency might go beyond 30 days, the 45-day planner is an important tool to help you spread the food across additional days. It’s safe to say this meal planner could be a lifesaver.
BEST MRE - XMRE Blue Line Meals Ready to Eat (MRE)
12 meal value case is packed with fully cooked ready meals, rich in protein and bursting with flavor! Whether in an emergency or enjoying the outdoors the extended shelf life allows you to use as needed to satisfy your hunger.
No hydration, no refrigeration needed. Providing a long stable shelf life in a variety of delicious entrées, array of sides, snacks, desserts, and beverages the satisfying meals can be easily eaten from the pouch with the included utensils.
If you’re camping, hiking or preparing for the worst, our survival foods freshly packed in 2020 are convenient, lightweight and durable. The waterproof packs are easy to store and carry. No water is needed to reconstitute food.
Great taste starts with great ingredients! Tamper proof XMRE BLUE LINE packs are dated and provide up to 1,200 calories of high quality food. From hearty chili & beef stew each meal kit fuels your body with the nutrients it needs.
Made in the USA and has been specifically engineered to meet the critical requirements of government institutions, medical facilities, Law Enforcement, emergency preparedness programs & humanitarian needs around the globe.
GOOD TASTING FREEZE DRIED - Mountain House Classic Bucket
Savor your next adventure with this easy-to-carry bucket consisting of 12 total meal pouches that are loaded with unbelievable flavor. This bucket contains 24 total servings of freeze-dried backpacker favorites.
Mountain House freeze-dried meals are lightweight, portable, and loaded with flavor – one taste and you’ll know why they are a top choice for camping food. Just add water and eat in less than ten minutes straight from the pouch. No cleanup, no dishes. Just easy. Hike that epic trail, backpack the deep backcountry, or spend a weekend camping. Whatever your adventure, savoy it with Mountain House.
Meals included are:
- (3) pouches of Beef Stew
- (3) Beef Stroganoff
- (2) Granola with Milk & Blueberries
- (2) Classic Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- (2) Chicken Fried Rice.
Longest proven shelf life in the industry! With a 30-year taste guarantee.
Emergency food bars are extremely convenient compared to all the other emergency foods above. They’re dense with calories, portable, and last for years.
The SOS Food Labs Emergency Ration packs 3,600 calories into a small, appetizing brick of food that’s ready to eat right out of the package. It’s good for five years, and it’s broken up into nine smaller bars so you can have one bar for every meal, totaling three days’ worth of food on just one pack.
f you are stranded and have no food for days you will be very glad you have these bars to get you thru. High in calories, sugar, and fat. Exactly what a starving person will need. If you know anything about survival then you know that you do not want a healthy food bar. These are to be kept only for worst-case scenarios and not be eaten regularly. Buy and hold.
COMPACT FOOD REPLACEMENT - Survival Tabs Emergency Food Replacement
The Survival Tabs contain 100% of the U.S. RDA of 15 Essential Vitamins & Minerals. Made with the highest quality protein which is essential in survival situations where your body needs to assimilate as much as possible from what you eat.
Generally, of the food we eat, most are not absorbed as an effective use of calories. A calorie is a unit of energy that our bodies need to keep going. Our bodies use calories much like a car uses fuel. Because The Survival Tabs are 100% digestible and assimilated into your system, they use all of the calories to fuel your body.
Combined with high-quality protein, fatty acids, and carbohydrates, The Survival Tabs are an efficient means to nourish your body. The greatest possible nutrition in the smallest possible volume.
Estimate the shelf-life is 25 years, but suggest rotating them to ensure maximum food value every 2-3 years.
BEST Kosher, Non-GMO, Vegan FRIENDLY - NorthWest Fork Gluten-Free 30 Day Emergency Food Supply
Whether preparing for a trek or ensuring you and your family will be ready in a time of need, NorthWest Fork makes sure you won’t sacrifice health or flavor.
Locally source gluten-free oats made from cleaned, de-hulled, and lightly roasted seeds that are steamed and flaked in Eugene, Oregon. Black and pinto beans are pre-cooked, dehydrated, and flaked in Oregon’s beautiful Umpqua Valley. A blend of fruits grown in the tropical sunshine rounds out your diet.
30-day food supply includes six thickly-lined, resealable bags containing 15 servings each. Heavy-duty oxygen absorbers make sure your meals stay fresh for at least 10 years.
Each box contains a total of six 15 serving-sized meals. The meals included are:
- Strawberry Banana Oatmeal – The best part of waking up is knowing you can count on a hearty meal. Organic sugars sweeten the gluten-free oat and fruit blend.
- Tropical Trio Oatmeal – Mix up your diet with sweet and tangy mangos, pineapple, and banana. Organic sugars lightly sweeten the gluten-free oats.
- Black Bean Chipotle Stew – A hearty mid-day meal with a kick. Seasoned with a flavorful chipotle blend of spices. Eat over rice or quinoa or enjoy on its own.
- Pinto Bean Stew – Thick stew that will keep you full on your treks with simple and back-to-natural ingredients that give you protein. Wrap it up in a burrito, eat it over rice or just chow down.
- Green Pea Soup – Just like grandma made. Garlic, onions, and a dash of salt flavor California-grown green peas.
- Black Bean Soup – It’s black beans. Pure protein with classic simplicity you can count on.
Vegan, kosher and soy, gluten, nut, and GMO-free. Packaged in resealable 5.5ml thick Mylar bags. Maintains freshness for two months after opening.
BEST VARIETY - Peak Refuel Entrée Variety Pack
Peak Refuel was formed by a group of avid outdoor enthusiasts passionate about two things, great-tasting food, and adventure. They spent the better part of two years handcrafting chef-inspired meals using only premium ingredients and 100% real meat.
Through their proprietary cooking and the freeze-drying process, they are able to deliver a home-cooked meal experience that will be ready in a matter of minutes. Whether deep in the backcountry or hovering around a campfire you can now celebrate your adventures with a camping meal that tastes as it came straight from the kitchen!
Who says that Emergency Food Kits have to taste bad? No longer do you need to compromise taste for convenience! All Peak Refuel products contain high-quality ingredients to ensure an appetizing and nutritious meal while on the trail.
What you eat matters and we have gone to great lengths to create a meal with non-GMO ingredients so you can experience a flavorful just add water meal whether on the mountain, at your favorite campsite, or stuck in an emergency situation.
Augason Farms Ready Now Emergency Food Supply
Staying focused and alert in the first hours of a crisis is critical. With READY NOW kits, you’ll have the food, water, and utensils you need to make prep-in-pouch meals while on the go. This is an emergency preparedness game changer!
Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal, High-Protein Chocolate Shake, Homestyle Potatoes (made with real mashed potatoes loaded with real cheddar cheese and chives). TOTAL NUTRITION: 1,000 calories/43g protein.
Includes Four, 12-ounce cans of Augason Farms eQuenchal Water are included for preparing meals (2 cans) and drinking (2 cans). Using an 8-stage purification process ensures your water will taste great and stay clean and safe for up to 30 years. Cans made with infinitely recyclable aluminum.
Emergency’s don’t care about the clock, and they certainly won’t wait until you’re at home to unleash their wrath. Augason Farm’s compact, soft-sided kits are lightweight and portable and the perfect way to stay prepared wherever life takes you.
Legacy Premium Emergency Survival Food Storage
Another of the best survival food kits that money can buy is this offering from Legacy Premium Food Storage. With a nice selection of entrees that have larger servings and Long shelf life, this emergency food kit gives you peace of mind that you’ll be prepared for any type of disaster.
What reviewers really like about this food survival pack is the variety of meals that you can enjoy.
Other packs will have one or two which as you can imagine, gets boring fast. All you need to do is add water to most of these meals and you’ll be enjoying them in just 15-minutes.
As for the shelf-life of the food within this product, you can expect to be able to enjoy the freeze-dried meals a good 25-years down the line.
Meals Included In The Kit:
- Italian Pasta with Marinara (4 Servings)
- Classic Chilli mix (8 Servings)
- Pasta Primavers (8 Servngs)
- Enchilada, Beans, and Rice (4 Servings)
- White Bean Chili (4 Servings)
- Stroganoff (4 Servings)
- Creamy A la king (4 Servings)
- Vegetable & Rotini Pasta (4 Servings)
- Creamy Potato Soup (4 Servings)
- Macaroni and cheese (8 Servings)
- Cheese & Broccoli Bake (4 Servings)
- Pasta Alfredo (4 Servings)
Hopefully, you’ll never have to use a product like this, but you’ll certainly be grateful for having it if you ever did need to.
Additional Survival Kit Items
For those of you that are starting to build an emergency survival kit, having food is the first step in survival, but here are some recommended items that will be needed to make life a little easier during the unknown.
Items below included portable cooking tools for food preparation and first-aid in case you need to attend to an injury while you wait for help to arrive. Plus, these items can be used for camping, so they will never go to waste.
Jetboil builds super-dependable stoves and systems that pack light, set up quickly, and achieve rapid boils in minutes.
Quick to set-up. Quick to pack-up. No loose parts. Jetboil cooking systems save pack space and make storage and transportation a breeze.
By increasing the surface area of the bottom of the pot, FluxRing technology makes it possible to heat a conveniently shaped vessel with extremely high efficiency.
BioLite Campstove 2
Grill, boil, cook, and charge with this fully integrated system. Generate electricity and create smokeless wood flames with the award-winning CampStove 2.
Who knows what your power situation will be during an emergency, and having a fully charged smartphone is a necessity. The award-winning BioLite CampStove’s latest upgrade features 50% more power, an integrated battery, and an updated LED dashboard for improved control and feedback.
Burning only wood, the CampStove 2’s fan creates a smokeless fire that can cook meals and boil water in minutes while turning its heat into usable electricity.
Stove generates 3W power to charge devices
Grilltop fits up to four burgers. Boils 1L of water in 4.5 minutes. Burns any renewable biomass (sticks, twigs, etc.)
72 Hour Deluxe Emergency Kit
Stay prepared for emergency situations everywhere you go. Ready America emergency survival kits sustain 4 people for 3 days (72 hours). Basic essential emergency supplies are recommended by the American Red Cross as well as a hygiene kit, masks, thermometer, survival blankets, and ponchos.
Comes with first aid essentials for minor injuries like bandages and wound cleaning solution. Take care of medical emergencies with easy-to-use supplies. Great for a car emergency kit or boat accessories.
Everything you need in case of an emergency. U.S. Coast Guard-approved food and water pouches with a 5-year shelf life, water purification tablets, and a BPA-free water bottle.
The Deluxe Emergency Kit includes a stainless steel Multi-Function Pocket Tool with a screwdriver, pliers, and knife functions, a 4-Function Power Station with radio, charger, and flashlight, and siren capabilities, and so much more!
Keep supplies at the ready with this packed handy backpack ready for emergencies that are lightweight and easy to carry. Store this day pack wherever it can be easily accessed.
4 Pack Solar USB Rechargeable 3 AA Power Brightest COB LED Camping Lantern
If you are stuck with no power, having a Solar Lantern is an extremely versatile source of light whether around the house, in the backyard, or on a camping expedition. Give the Solar Lantern a quick charge with the 5V DC cord or using the solar cells located at the top of the light.
Omni-directional LED lights to provide illumination in every direction around the campsite, backyard, and so much more.
When is a Survival Food Kit Necessary?
A survival food kit is something that contains long-life food. This food will is non-perishable for many years, does not need to be stored in a refrigerator, often does not need much in terms of preparation, and usually requires nothing more than a little bit of water if at all.
Also, depending on the food kit that you purchase, it may also contain other items that will become useful in times of emergency.
This could be medical items, some form of short-term shelter, clothing, items to help create warmth, and many other types of tools that will come in handy.
Countless amount of people believe that emergency food kits are merely designed for global disasters or natural disasters but in fact, there are a few other reasons why people like to own a survival food kit just in case.
- Natural Disasters: Climate change is affecting our world in a direction we never thought was possible. Hurricanes, wildfires, and major flooding is happening more than we want as of late, and having a survival food and equipment makes handling the situation a little easier if you have to wait appropriate emergency services get to you.
- Camping/Hiking/Climbing: If you will like to enjoy outdoor activities and you’ll know that you’re usually miles away from anything else. Having a standard food crate or emergency food kits in your backpack makes all the difference in survival.
- Sudden Financial Difficulties: Many people buy survival food packs for when times get hard. Perhaps you’re in debt up to your eyeballs and you suddenly lose your job and do not have the money to buy groceries. You may even find that times are tough and you’re forced to live on the streets for a while.
You do not even need to purchase an emergency food supply with just one of the above in mind either, you could just keep one at home for whenever any of them might occur. You just never know when they might come in very handy.
Is there an emergency kit you love that is not on this list? We would love to hear from you by commenting below.
If you liked this article, please help me share it via a tweet, stumble, pin, or Facebook share would be much appreciated!